In early February, or perhaps even sooner, I will become a mom for the third time. This will be the first baby while I’m heading up our landscape architecture business, Metis Design. In preparation for this blessed event, I wanted to find some inspirational articles on the many great successes of expecting and new moms who run their own growing businesses. Then, I wanted to share these inspirational women on all of our social media sites as a quick and easy method to demonstrate that modern women are doing this all the time. To acknowledge that successful business women have been doing this for a very long time. While I know such women and success stories are out there, none of the articles I found were quite right. I’d like to think this is because women who are fully dedicated to their business and their newborn are so commonplace that few of them thought there was a need to prioritize writing a blog post celebrating their successes. To rejoice in the trials, tribulations, and surprises of pouring their heart, soul and love into the idea that they can help both their business and their human babies grow up to be big, strong, healthy and helpful. (You might be getting an idea why I couldn’t find just the right article – I guess the topic is a bit specific.)
And so my first stab at blogging in this way is really an attempt to let all my clients know that going forward, it’s business as usual for us. Don’t get me wrong, I know well that newborns bring their own host of individual needs and surprises, but rest assured, we are taking all the necessary measures to have a solid support team in place to make sure both baby and business thrive. We have a full-time staff to handle our workload and are hoping to continue adding to the team as our project load grows as well. We need and appreciate our clients and growth now more than ever! Please do not hesitate to let us know we are needed for your new project – to make a correction or change – to send you copies of your plans – to meet with you. We are completely, 100% up to the task at all times and we greatly appreciate your faith in us.
And with that I’ll add some fun, inspiring achievements by pregnant women:
- In 1998 Alison Hargreaves climbed the north face of the Eiger mountain in the Alps — one of the most famous peaks in the world — at six months pregnant.
- Major Stephanie Kelsen, an Air National Guard commander, continued to work as a fighter pilot during her pregnancy.
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, then a congresswoman, spent 12 hours on the floor of the House of Representatives before going into labor with her second child in 2008, becoming the sixth woman to give birth while serving in Congress.
- Marissa Mayer announced she was pregnant the same day Yahoo! announced her appointment as CEO.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg attended law school while pregnant.
- Gal Gadot filmed Superwoman while 5 months pregnant.
- Olympic Gold Medalist Joan Benoit ran the Boston Marathon while 3 months pregnant.
- 27-year-old Amber Miller ran the Chicago Marathon at 39 weeks pregnant, (with doctor’s clearance) and went into labor before completing the marathon!
- Serena Williams won her 7th Australian Open while 8 weeks pregnant.